Print this page

Employment Law Advice

  • font size:      | 

Employment Law Advice



- Issues: rights in the workplace, unfair dismissal, lack of contract, disputes with employer.


Appointments are currently every other Wednesday from 5.30pm with our Spanish and Portuguese-speaking advisor.

To make an appointment and more information please call us on 020 7372  8653 or visit us from Monday to Thursday (between the hours of 10am and 2pm and 3pm to 6pm).

Alternatively email us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for more information.


Frequently Asked Questions:

- Issues with the payment of your salary?

You should receive a payslip every month and you should check:

  • Whether you have been paid the correct amount of worked hours
  • The rate of pay – check that you are receiving at least the minimum wage*
  • There are no unexpected deductions
  • You have been paid the expected holiday pay

*Minimum wage:


 25 and over

 21 to 24

 18 to 20

 Under 18


April 2019






You can read more about this on

One common problem affecting Latin Americans regarding payment of salary is not being paid for all the hours worked. In order to resolve this, and after checking your payslip, get evidence of your completed hours. For example, use old rotas or emails from your employer confirming your hours.

If you are not getting anywhere you can speak to your trade union if you have one. As a second step, you can raise a grievance. You will need to see if your employer has a formal procedure for this. If your employer doesn’t have one, you can write a letter where you explain that you are missing payment and you should include copies of your evidence (old rotas, etc). We could help you to write a letter.


A third step in case your grievance is not accepted, you can try “Early conciliation”. This is a procedure similar to mediation and it is run by an organisation called ACAS (Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service) to resolve employment disputes. You will have to start this by completing the early conciliation form on  or by calling them on 0300 123 1122.

If ACAS early conciliation does not resolve the problem, you can think about taking your employer to a tribunal. The deadline to do this is three months’ minus one day. You can only do this once you get the ACAS certificate – that is, a number indicating that you have been through the mediation process.

Preguntas frecuentes:

- Problemas con el pago de su salario?

Debe recibir una nómina de sueldo todos los meses y usted debe verificar:

o Si le han pagado la cantidad correcta de horas trabajadas

o La tasa de pago: compruebe que está recibiendo al menos el salario mínimo *

o No hay deducciones inesperadas

o Se le ha pagado el pago de vacaciones esperado

*Salario mínimo:


25 y mayores

21 a 24

18 a 20

Menores de  18


Abril 2019






Puede leer más sobre esto en

Un problema común que afecta a los latinoamericanos con respecto al pago del salario es que no se les paga por todas las horas trabajadas. Para resolver esto, y después de verificar su nómina de sueldo, obtenga evidencia de sus horas completadas. Por ejemplo, use rotas o correos electrónicos de su empleador para confirmar sus horas.

Puede hablar con su sindicato si tiene uno. Como segundo paso, puede presentar una queja. Deberá ver si su empleador tiene un procedimiento formal para esto. Si su empleador no tiene uno, puede escribir una carta donde explique que le falta el pago y debe incluir copias de su evidencia (antiguas rotas, etc.). Podríamos ayudarle a escribir una carta.

Un tercer paso en caso de que su queja no sea aceptada, puede intentar la “Conciliación temprana”. Este es un procedimiento similar a la mediación y está a cargo de una organización llamada ACAS (Servicio de Asesoramiento, Conciliación y Arbitraje) para resolver disputas laborales. Tendrá que comenzar esto completando el formulario de conciliación temprana en o llamándolos al 0300 123 1122.

Si la conciliación temprana de ACAS no resuelve el problema, puede pensar en llevar a su empleador a un tribunal. El plazo para hacerlo es de tres meses menos un día. Solo puede hacer esto una vez que obtenga el certificado ACAS, es decir, un número de referencia que indica que ha pasado por el proceso de mediación.